Making Fedora work with laptops on docking station with external monitor

FlorianFesti ffesti at redhat.com
Tue Oct 5 08:55:14 UTC 2010

  On 10/05/2010 10:35 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> No, I think what we need to do is to teach GPM how to turn off the
> internal panel when docked and with the lid closed. The only missing
> piece is for the kernel to export some kind of sysfs boolean saying
> "in-dock". From talks with mjg59, detecting a dock is pretty hard.
Sorry for my may be naive question: Why do we need to know if we are
docked or not. Isn't there exactly the same situation if the external
Monitor is directly connected to the laptop? If there is an external
monitor and the lid is closed don't we want to switch off the display
regardless whether there is a docking station involved or not?

Florian