Making Fedora work with laptops on docking station with external monitor

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 11:00:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 October 2010 09:55, FlorianFesti <ffesti at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for my may be naive question: Why do we need to know if we are
>> docked or not. Isn't there exactly the same situation if the external
>> Monitor is directly connected to the laptop? If there is an external
>> monitor and the lid is closed don't we want to switch off the display
>> regardless whether there is a docking station involved or not?
>
> Well, I guess some people would want the laptop to suspend, but it's a
> very good question. Now all it needs is someone willing and able to
> write a little patch for me :-)

For the Dell docking stations at least there is a power button on the
dock and the general way they are used (in that this is the way it
works with Windows) is that if the power button on the dock is used
and the lid is closed (power button is above the keyboard) it uses the
external monitor. I've no idea if its possible to differentiate which
botton is used. This is the case in our off with Dell D series and E
series Latitude and HP dock capable laptops.

Peter