xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Tue Oct 5 14:51:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Maybe I'm missed something, but there is a (relative) simple question
> that always pops up in my head when I read things like this. I never
> bothered to ask it in public, but I'll do now:
>
>  * Why haven't those that want iceweasel and icedove in Fedora not
> simply invested some time and got them integrated into the repository?(¹)

The issue at hand is that Mozilla will not give permission to use
system libs instead of bundled libs while calling it Firefox.

> It wouldn't be the first (albeit it likely would be the biggest) fork
> where we also still ship the original (dd{,_}rescue comes to my mind),
> hence I'd assume the packaging guidelines do not forbid something like
> that. Or do they?

It really wouldn't be a fork at all. From what I can tell it's a build
flag that can be enabled or disabled and automatically takes out the
trademark and copyright artwork. People just don't want to remove the
branding because they presume they know how end users think.

> knurd

Brandon