Chain builds for non-rawhide

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Oct 5 21:30:48 UTC 2010

Jesse Keating wrote, at 10/06/2010 05:58 AM +9:00:

> On 10/5/10 1:36 PM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am maintaining eclipse-egit and eclipse-jgit. Since
>> eclipse-egit depends on eclipse-jgit it makes sense to
>> use chain-builds when building them (this is simply
>> faster than waiting for eclipse-jgit to build, and
>> become available in the repos before eclipse-git can
>> be built).
>>
>> Ok, that works for rawhide.
>>
>> Unfortunately this isn't possible for non-rawhide releases.
>>
>> I could start speculating and think of reasons as to why
>> that's the case, but rather ask the more knowledgeable :)
>>
>> So, what were the reasons for not allowing chain-builds
>> for non-rawhide?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>> Severin
>>
>> P.S.: The error message:
>>   Could not initiate build: Packages in destination tag
>>   dist-f14-updates-candidate are not inherited bybuild
>>   tag dist-f14-build
>> doesn't mean much to me. Perhaps an error message
>> indicating that chain-build is not available would be
>> more meaningful.
>
> Sorry that it's terse.  Once we branch a release away, we do not have a
> direct relationship between "it built" and "it will be in the public
> repo".  As such, it is dangerous to allow just-built items into the
> buildroot for future builds, as this could lead to a package being built
> against software that is never released.  A variety of problems happen
> in this scenario.  As such, we carefully maintain what goes into the
> buildroots, only by default taking things which have been marked as
> "stable" via bodhi, or things we explicitly tag in for a short period of
> time in order to accomplish a set of builds.
>
> The way to "chain" build for a branch is to request a buildroot override:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO#Working_with_packages_in_the_stable_branches
>
> That should be easier to find, kudos to anybody that works on making it so.
>
> - --
> Jesse Keating

Well, how about creating "dist-f14-for-chainbuild" build target and allow
people to tag or untag build as/from that tag freely?

For example currently
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildtargetinfo?targetID=67
says that build target "dist-f14-kde" uses "dist-f14-kde" tagged packages
for buildroot, and built packages are tagged as "dist-f14-kde" and
the destination tag "dist-f14-kde" is not locked.
(and on the other hand build target "dist-f14" still exists, using
  "dist-f14-build" tagged packages when building but the destination
  "dist-f14" is locked)
So as far as I am correct, we can freely do chain-build using dist-f14-kde
build target for F-14 packages. And actually this status was used
when fixing ImageMagick related dependency breakage on F-14
(see latest ImageMagick group update request on F-14 on bodhi,
  and tag history on koji for ImageMagick-6.6.4.1-13.fc14,
  autotrace-0.31.1-24.fc14.1 for example)

So creating build target for chain-build purpose only seems reasonable
to me.

Regards,
Mamoru