trademarks [was: xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs]

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 6 15:36:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 16:41 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> However, this here is Fedora, a project that once was aiming at
> "Freedom" - As trivial as it is, restrictive trademark policies simply
> do not fit into this philosophy.

If we don't protect the Fedora trademark, anyone can produce anything
and call it 'Fedora'. Including something which doesn't fit into our
philosophy of freedom at all.

It's really pretty simple: we can only define goals and values and
blahblah for 'the Fedora project' as long as we actually retain control
over 'the Fedora project' (that's we as in the Fedora community, not Red
Hat, BTW) and we can only do that if we control the name 'Fedora'. If
anyone can make anything and call it 'Fedora', how are people to know
what comes from the Fedora project and is backed by its values, and what
doesn't?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey