trademarks [was: xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs]

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Oct 6 17:39:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 12:25:27 -0500,
  Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> said:
> > Some have
> > also hoped that Mozilla would change with regard to bundled libraries in the
> > near future, but that seems pretty unlikely.
>
> I think that's an unfair statement; from what I understand, Firefox has
> already unbundled some libraries, and said they will unbundle others
> once their changes settle down.

I guess that depends on what one means by near and unbundled libraries.
I got the impression that the vpx stuff was months away from being
unbundled. And there is no apparent commitment not to bundle new libraries
going forward. So that there will need to be an ongoing exception to cover
any new libraries that get used by Firefox. It does seem that specific
libraries do end up getting unbundled in most cases eventually. However
at least one library is likely to be a long term fork because Mozilla
and upstream disagree on the feature added to the Mozilla version of
the library.