Making Fedora work with laptops on docking station with external monitor

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Wed Oct 6 18:58:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 05, 2010 at 08:53:12AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:35 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On 5 October 2010 05:30, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> > > Are we really stuck with gdm/kdm/lxdm/...dm
> > > implementing it?
> >
> > No, I think what we need to do is to teach GPM how to turn off the
> > internal panel when docked and with the lid closed. The only missing
> > piece is for the kernel to export some kind of sysfs boolean saying
> > "in-dock". From talks with mjg59, detecting a dock is pretty hard.
>
> Maybe just 'lid closed and external monitor connected' would be close
> enough? Is there a use case where you'd want to have an external monitor
> connected and the internal system's lid closed, but still have the
> internal system's display turned on?

Yep, that's enough info.

$ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
state:      open

$ cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/LID/state
state:      closed

That lid info combined with info about external monitors connected or not:

$ ls /sys/class/drm/card0
card0-DVI-D-1        card0-LVDS-1  dev     power      uevent
card0-HDMI Type A-1  card0-VGA-1   device  subsystem

$ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-LVDS-1/status
connected

$ cat /sys/class/drm/card0/card0-LVDS-1/enabled
enabled

Same info is available for external VGA/DVI/HDMI outputs.

-- Pasi