Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Oct 11 17:51:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 12:44:49 -0500,
  Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:

> > I think that is a misfeature. I don't want anything irreversible to be done
> > until I say go.
>
> You know that Fedora has done partitioning/mkfs about halfway through
> the install for a while now, right?  I don't see why there would be a
> problem with letting that run in the background while continuing through
> the questions.

I forget which stuff gets done afterwards, since I haven't done a fresh install
for a while now. (I mostly do yum upgrades and play with live USB images.)
But I do remember a clear no/no go point where disk drive file systems get
formatted. Depending on the file systems being used that can take a little
bit of time to complete, but is short compared to the rest of the install.
I tend to do install all of the games, so my installs may take longer than
average. I also always do custom disk layouts, so I might see things a bit
different from people that don't do that.