RFC: Upgrade Banshee to 1.8.0 in F13

Nathaniel McCallum nathaniel at natemccallum.com
Mon Oct 11 18:03:42 UTC 2010

On 10/11/2010 01:50 PM, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Would the libgpod update require rebuilding or changing anything
>> else?  How many other packages depend on that?
>
> The libgpod update should be safe.  Though if it was up to me I'd wait
> for libgpod to reach 0.8.0.  Upstream is treating 0.7.95 like a
> release candidate.  I don't know how long it might take though.
>
> The big change between 0.7.93 and 0.7.95 is that the mono bindings
> were added, which is what Banshee 1.8 needs.  I don't have an opinion
> on whether Banshee should or shouldn't be updated in a stable release.
> I don't use it.

As someone who works closely with upstream, I can attest that 0.7.95 has
no API/ABI changes and can be seamlessly upgraded without rebuilds. 0.8
will probably be released (and packaged by me) before any of this hits
F13.  I only mentioned 0.7.95 since banshee requires this version or later.

One should keep in mind that the 0.7.9x series is the development series
leading up to 0.8.0.  Since 0.7.93 is already in F13, 0.8.0 is a natural
upgrade path.

There is only one change in 0.7.95 that may cause problems with existing
apps: stop_sync() must be called an equal number of times in order to
make the "Syncing..." screen on iphones/ipads/ipod touches disappear.
Previously the screen was removed after the first call to stop_sync()
(this was a bug in libgpod).  Since stop_sync() should be called once
per start_sync() invocation, this should not be a problem and since it
is a known issue, we know how to test for it. Applications depending on
the previous behaviour were depending on a bug.  Worst case is an
entirely cosmetic bug.

Nathaniel