RFC: Upgrade Banshee to 1.8.0 in F13

Nathaniel McCallum nathaniel at natemccallum.com
Mon Oct 11 18:13:30 UTC 2010

On 10/11/2010 01:37 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:20:54 -0400
> Nathaniel McCallum <nathaniel at natemccallum.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to propose that we upgrade banshee (and
>> banshee-community-extensions) to 1.8.0 in F13.  I estimate that this
>> will close about half our open bugs.  Doing this will require the
>> following package upgrades in F13:
>>
>> * clutter-sharp - Upgrade (I'm pretty sure Banshee is the only user)
>> * gio-sharp - New
>> * gudev-sharp - New
>> * gkeyfile-sharp - New
>> * gtk-sharp-beans - New
>> * libgpod - Upgrade (0.7.93 > 0.7.95; bugfix release)
>>
>> The only thing complicated here is the buildroot override requirement
>> and making sure that we ship the new banshee-community-extensions in
>> the same update as the new banshee.
>>
>> Currently, I do not think it is feasible to backport this to F12, so
>> F13 would be the latest version.
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments?
>
> Well, lets see:
>
> F13 currently has version 1.6.1 in it. Looks like they follow an 'odd
> is unstable/devel, even is release/stable' method. So, all the 1.7.x
> releases were development ones.

Correct.

> I see a lot of bugs fixed, but also a bunch of new features:
> http://banshee.fm/download/archives/1.8.0/
>
> I see 9 open fedora bugs.

Yes, and I think 1.8 should solve roughly half of them (I'm unable to
reproduce most of them in 1.8).  Given our limited resources, I have no
current plans to spend time on fixing bugs in the 1.6.x series (others
are free of course to work on this).

> Has the UI changed since 1.6.1? I would suspect so.

UI has not really seen many changes.  Changes would be things like:
* Amazon MP3 Store Service
* Miro podcast guide
* iPhone support

These changes should not impact a user in any significant way (they just
show up as additional sources on the left side).

One one potentially confusing change is that the preferences dialog was
re-arraigned.  Since all preferences are transparently migrated and the
majority of users only set preferences once, this impact should be minimal.

Nathaniel