Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Lars Seipel lars.seipel at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 11 21:34:08 UTC 2010

On Monday 11 October 2010 12:41:13 Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> This is in contrast to anaconda (certainly from the live CD install)
> which seems to be a usability no-go area.
>
> Thoughts?  Can we switch to their installer?
>
> Rich.

It may be nice usability-wise but it lacks support for LVM2, LUKS disk
encryption and practically everything more advanced. It can't be automated
using some equivalent to kickstart and it fails at all the stuff Anaconda
subsumes unter "advanced storage devices". You can't even do the install from
some remote place without setting anything up by hand. Ubuntu users requiring
more than these very basic features have to go for the Debian text mode
installer Ubuntu ships on their alternate media.

Striving for usability and pleasantness for the untechnical users certainly is
a good thing. It gets problematic when you choose to make things technically
inferior just to please those kind of users.

So I don't think it's a good idea to switch to this, even if it was trivially
possible to use with Fedora. But there's nothing preventing us to take the
ubiquity features we enjoy most and enable Anaconda to do something similar.

Lars.