Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 08:28:37 UTC 2010

   Hi,

> Striving for usability and pleasantness for the untechnical users certainly is
> a good thing. It gets problematic when you choose to make things technically
> inferior just to please those kind of users.

We don't have to make things inferior to improve usability.  To stick
with the "advanved storage" example:  IMHO the selection screen between
basic and advanced storage is confusing and superfluous.  First it
should probably be named "local storage" and "SAN storage".  Second
anaconda can default to local storage if a local disk is present (option
to add SAN storage needs to be there of course).  If no local disk is
present it can go straight to SAN setup.  One screen and one mouse click
less for most of the users.

cheers,
   Gerd