Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Oct 12 12:16:49 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 10:28 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>     Hi,
>
>> Striving for usability and pleasantness for the untechnical users certainly is
>> a good thing. It gets problematic when you choose to make things technically
>> inferior just to please those kind of users.
>
> We don't have to make things inferior to improve usability.  To stick
> with the "advanved storage" example:  IMHO the selection screen between
> basic and advanced storage is confusing and superfluous.  First it
> should probably be named "local storage" and "SAN storage".  Second
> anaconda can default to local storage if a local disk is present (option
> to add SAN storage needs to be there of course).  If no local disk is
> present it can go straight to SAN setup.  One screen and one mouse click
> less for most of the users.

If you want to appeal to the same audience Ubuntu is going for then you
have to remove choice. The whole storage bit needs to be completely removed
or at least stripped down. "advanced storage" certainly has to disappear
completely.
The only way to accomplish this without actually removing the features is
to have two anaconda modes one for easy desktop installation and one full
featured mode. This mode should be chosen not by the user but by the spin
e.g. the desktop spin would use the easy mode and the server or workstation
spins would use the full featured one.

You cannot make two distinct target audiences happy with one workflow
especially if one of those groups requires a limitation of choice.

Regards,
   Dennis