Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 14:20:49 UTC 2010

2010/10/11 Gilboa Davara <gilboad at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 12:09 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 17:39 +0200, Gilboa Davara wrote:
>>
>> > Comparing the Ubuntu 10.04 DVD installer (which I use a couple of weeks
>> > ago) to Fedora 13 DVD installer is like comparing the Cessna to a Boeing
>> > 747.
>> > Sure, both can accomplish the same task. Read: transporting people from
>> > one airport to another, but lets see you try transporting 400 peoples
>> > from London to NY using a Cessna...
>> >
>> > The same logic applies to the Ubuntu installer: As long as you require a
>> > fairly basic -desktop- configuration (Read: No fancy storage, no LVM, no
>> > fancy setup source [nfs, dvd, http], -very- basic encryption, standard
>> > software set and repository selection, etc), the Ubuntu installer is a
>> > great tool, but once you need something complex, you're screwed.
>>
>> That's all true. I've found the Ubuntu installer looks /very/ polished
>> and nice for very common install cases, but I always use LVM on every
>> install that I do, and last time I did a VM install of Ubuntu, I had to
>> switch to a VT and get LVM sorted on the command line. Not super user
>> friendly as compared with Anaconda. Other installers were even more of a
>> joke doing this stuff. Tried doing LVM on Gentoo? :) Things like LVM and
>> VNC do really matter, and not just for "Enterprise" users. You don't
>> need to use LVM w/wo RAID, you can just do bare partitions if you don't
>> care about being able to do anything useful with your disks at all :)
>
> Amen to that.
> Given the absurdly cheap price of HD these days, I usually opt for LVM
> over software RAID1 / RAID5 on each and every workstation machine I
> install.
> Achieving the same using the Ubuntu installer would have required a lot
> of manual mdadm and lvm pv/vg/lv** commands. (Let alone their basic disk
> partitioning tool)
>
> ... In their race for Joe-six-pack and Apple like polish, Ubuntu gave up
> on many Linux core capabilities. Hopefully Fedora will -not- follow
> suite.

Hello,

I am doing the same setup, nice to see someone else with those
requirements. actually without kickstart setting up softraid in
anaconda was broken (try it manually without precreated partitions...
it will drive you insane). out of the box booting didnt work when
/boot was on a mirror raid and the mbr wasnt cloned either. not that
great of an out of the box experience. i had those issues in f11 f12
and f13.
but hey... instead of redundancy having some colored automatically
selected flags and languages is probably more important after all.

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl