Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Oct 12 14:40:27 UTC 2010

On 10/12/2010 04:20 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 02:16:49PM +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> The only way to accomplish this without actually removing the features is
>> to have two anaconda modes one for easy desktop installation and one full
>> featured mode. This mode should be chosen not by the user but by the spin
>> e.g. the desktop spin would use the easy mode and the server or workstation
>> spins would use the full featured one.
>
> Anaconda actually has the ability to do this with "install classes".

I figured as much and my guess is that anaconda already has most of the
required stuff implemented and it's really just a case of lining up the
bits and pieces the right way.

Another question is where to split this off exactly:

1) Different spins
2) Boot menu option (default=easy and an "advanced" option)
3) Selection screen when anaconda starts
4) "advanced" buttons in the anaconda pages

 From top to bottom I would say the implementation work probably decreases
but the danger of one install path "contaminating" the other probably
increases. What that means is that at 1) you end up with two completely
distinct installation procedures which requires more work to implement but
can really be customized for the different target audiences whereas at 4)
you share a lot of stuff even in the interface but the different
installation methods must have a similar workflow which doesn't allow for
much individualization.

Regards,
   Dennis