Git commit in all available branches

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Oct 12 14:45:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:19:42PM +1000, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:32:15AM +1000, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
> >
> >> What do you mean "leave it alone"? The people using it WANT the changes.
> >> Why are you telling them how they can use their system?
> >
> > Because by pushing updates you're also potentially making it impossible
> > for people who don't want new bugs to use Fedora. The board have decided
> > that that's a class of user that we want to support.
>
> They also won't get old bugs fixed because I for one don't have the time
> , or the will, to maintain multiple versions.

It is a bit of a judgement call, but I think it is better to err on
the side of not fixing minor bugs on older Fedora releases if that
would mean making other disruptive changes that usually come with
updating software versions, because someone who runs an older Fedora
will at least be able to deal with known bugs, or if they can't, then
they can schedule an update to newer Fedora (or pull in the newer
package to their older release manually) on their own terms.

Also, if there is enough interest in having those bugs fixed in older
releases without introducing disruptive changes, then perhaps a
co-maintainer will step up and offer to do that
backporting/cherry-picking patch work.