Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 16:30:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 10:53 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:

> I don't agree.  There's nothing unusual about a dumbed-down interface for
> novices, with an 'advanced' tab hiding more options.

As someone else has pointed out, a lot of usability experts consider
this a bad idea, for two reasons:

1) everyone thinks they're an expert, even if they're not, and hits
'advanced'

2) it creates a confusing decision point for *everyone*: how do you know
if you need the 'advanced' options? You can't really know without
looking at them, so you have to look at them to decide if you need them,
so essentially we're presenting the advanced options to everyone...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey