Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Tue Oct 12 16:39:41 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:30:45AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> 2) it creates a confusing decision point for *everyone*: how do you know
> if you need the 'advanced' options? You can't really know without
> looking at them, so you have to look at them to decide if you need them,
> so essentially we're presenting the advanced options to everyone...

100% agreed.  You do not know in advance what options will not be shown
in non-advanced mode (e.g. custom filesystem layout, MBR at a different
partition, etc.).  As a CLI expert I'm considering myself all but a GUI
expert, but I never understood how people can "guess" the corect answer
to this kind of undefined questions (like "do you want basic or advanced
install mode?").

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>