ethtool not in default system anymore?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 13 00:06:50 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> said:
> Looking at comps, it seems ethtool was never listed, so it must have
> been pulled in as a dep of something (if it ever was installed by
> default).  I'd say look at your older systems and see what, if anything,
> requires ethtool.

It looks like up through F12, initscripts required ethtool (so it was
definately installed by default).  I see this in the RPM changelog:

* Mon Feb 15 2010 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> - 9.05-1
- network-functions: don't use ethtool for link state, assorted other cleanups

Of course, there's also this:

* Mon Aug 03 2009 Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> - 8.96-1
- only use ethtool for link checking; no more mii-tool

mii-tool gets pulled in by default because initscripts depends on
net-tools.  However, the mii-tool declares itself obsolete and
recommends ethtool.  Maybe ethtool should be added to @Base?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>