Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 08:16:00 UTC 2010

On 10/12/10 18:39, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:30:45AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
>> 2) it creates a confusing decision point for *everyone*: how do you know
>> if you need the 'advanced' options? You can't really know without
>> looking at them, so you have to look at them to decide if you need them,
>> so essentially we're presenting the advanced options to everyone...
>
> 100% agreed.  You do not know in advance what options will not be shown
> in non-advanced mode (e.g. custom filesystem layout, MBR at a different
> partition, etc.).  As a CLI expert I'm considering myself all but a GUI
> expert, but I never understood how people can "guess" the corect answer
> to this kind of undefined questions (like "do you want basic or advanced
> install mode?").

"advanced install mode" is a non-started as discussed elsewhere in this
thread.  It must be more fine-grained, i.e. each installation step
(where it make sense) should offer some button to see the advanced options.

And it probably shouldn't be labeled "Advanced ..." but say what kind of
advanced stuff is hidden there, i.e. the "advanced storage" button
should be labeled "Add SAN storage ..." because this is what it actually
is about.  Now you can figure whenever you need that or not without
klicking and looking, see?

cheers,
   Gerd