Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 09:04:37 UTC 2010

2010/10/12 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:

> On 10/12/10 7:20 AM, Rudolf Kastl wrote:
>> I am doing the same setup, nice to see someone else with those
>> requirements. actually without kickstart setting up softraid in
>> anaconda was broken (try it manually without precreated partitions...
>> it will drive you insane). out of the box booting didnt work when
>> /boot was on a mirror raid and the mbr wasnt cloned either. not that
>> great of an out of the box experience. i had those issues in f11 f12
>> and f13.
>> but hey... instead of redundancy having some colored automatically
>> selected flags and languages is probably more important after all.
>
> Have you been participating in the test days and filing bugs?  We've
> done many raid setups, it's part of our release criteria, and we haven't
> ran into the issues you seem to be describing above.

Let me clarify. On the criteria page i read (have to dig out the link)
it said that bugs regarding having /boot on softraid are ignored at
this point, so no i didnt bother filing a report. sounded like a known
issue.
As for the test day. Really, i always try to help out on test days but
i guess i was too busy/on the road when this one happened. Manually
setting up softraids with mdadm works like a charm btw. What is
problematic is setting up the correct partition layout manually with 2
drives because anaconda moves around and reenumberates the partitions
when you add new ones. (that drove me to insanity.) also note that
using kickstart works like a charm aswell.

in the notes i only found:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F13_bugs#Booting_from_an_mdraid_mirror_without_a_separate_.2Fboot_fails

Atleast on the f12 install this also failed with a seperate boot.  I
am going to keep my eyes open for f14 and doing an install with the
current f14 state soon to see which of those issues is still left and
file appropriate reports regarding the open issues. I am really
curious also if it will automatically make both disks of the mirror
setup bootable (writing grub to both mbrs).

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl