ethtool not in default system anymore?

Jiri Popelka jpopelka at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 14:03:24 UTC 2010

  On 10/13/2010 02:38 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Michael Cronenworth<mike at cchtml.com>  said:
>> Chris Adams wrote:
>>> Maybe ethtool should be added to @Base?
>> Or patch initscripts to use ethtool instead of deprecated cruft.
> You cut out the part of my email where I quoted the changelog showing
> that had already been done.
>
> The net-tools package should be included anyway (although maybe without
> mii-tool), as it includes commonly used tools like ifconfig, arp, route,
> hostname, netstat, etc.  Even if some of those commands are obsoleted by
> ip, they are pretty much required for compatiblity.  net-tools also has
> ether-wake for sending wake-on-LAN packets.
I'm not sure. We are trying to eventually get net-tools out of the
default install.
Most of the scripts (initscripts/networking) has been using iproute commands
now and we're trying to navigate people to switch to ip as well.
All tools (don't know about ether-wake, mii-diag, plipconfig)
already have it's better (net-tools uses obsoleted kernel interface)
successor.
ifconfig -> ip addr, ip link, ip -s link
route -> ip route
netstat -> ss, ip route, ip -s link, ip maddr
hostname -> has been separate package since F13
mii-tool -> ethtool
arp -> ip neigh
ipmaddr -> ip maddr
iptunnel -> ip tunnel
nameif -> udev

e.g. Debian si going to leave it and is migrating towards iproute.
see http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2009/03/msg00780.html

hostname package is now pulled in with net-tools but it should probably
be in @Base.
Can I (maintainer of hostname) add it to comps or do I need to ping
somebody else ?