Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 14:53:24 UTC 2010

> Hello,
>
> I am doing the same setup, nice to see someone else with those
> requirements. actually without kickstart setting up softraid in
> anaconda was broken (try it manually without precreated partitions...
> it will drive you insane). out of the box booting didnt work when
> /boot was on a mirror raid and the mbr wasnt cloned either. not that
> great of an out of the box experience. i had those issues in f11 f12
> and f13.
> but hey... instead of redundancy having some colored automatically
> selected flags and languages is probably more important after all.
>
> kind regards,
> Rudolf Kastl

When installing Fedora on machine with -large- amount of drives (8-16),
I simply use a single sfdisk script to create the same partition table
on all drives. When dealing with smaller configurations (3-4 drives),
Anaconda is OK. (At least to me)

As for MBR: I assume that like me, you create a small RAID1 for /boot
and RAIDX for the rest, hoping the first disk won't die on a DVD-less
machine :)
In-order to solve it (when I remember to do it :)), I simply dd 446
bytes from the first drive to every other drive.

- Gilboa