Ubuntu 10.10's installer looks rather nice

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Wed Oct 13 15:40:02 UTC 2010

On 10/13/2010 05:21 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 10:16 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>
>> And it probably shouldn't be labeled "Advanced ..." but say what kind of
>> advanced stuff is hidden there, i.e. the "advanced storage" button
>> should be labeled "Add SAN storage ..." because this is what it actually
>> is about.  Now you can figure whenever you need that or not without
>> klicking and looking, see?
>
> Nope, because that's not all it does. You also need the 'advanced'
> storage mode if you want to explicitly exclude disks from being
> considered during installation at all, which was previously part of the
> normal installation flow; now you're only shown that screen if you pick
> the 'advanced' mode. A button saying 'SAN storage and explicit device
> selection...' is rapidly getting uglier, and I'm sure there's other
> stuff that's in that path which that description still doesn't cover.

This discussion is what you get when you try to make both groups happy with
a single solution and in the end this usually kills any progress because
not only do they not come to an agreement initially but even if they do any
future changes now have to be agreed upon by both sides.

This sort of tight coupling is exactly what should be avoided if you want
to make both groups of users happy.

Regards,
   Dennis