Building mono-2.8 for 64 bit - possible solution to the problem

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 21:42:25 UTC 2010

> {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> {standard input}:24487: Error: @TLSLDM reloc is not supported with
> 64-bit output format
> {standard input}:24487: Error: junk `@tlsld' after expression
> make[3]: *** [libmonoruntimesgen_la-sgen-gc.lo] Error 1

This is certainly a case of compiling i386 code and then trying to link it
as x86-64 (or with other code compiled for x86-64).

> After Googling around, I think I've hit the cause - it's down to the
> cross compiler used on koji (or could be). I found this...
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/unattended-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02316.html
>
> which seems to point to the cross compilation being the problem for
> building mono on the 64 bit buildsys.

If what you really intend is to compile i[3-6]86 code in an x86_64 rpm,
then indeed you need to make sure that you are passing -m32 for all
the compiler invocations any compilation or linking of the 32-bit code.

Thanks,
Roland