Summary/Minutes for today's FESCo meeting (2010-10-05)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Oct 13 21:45:13 UTC 2010

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> There was also talk about whether or not it would be allowed for there
> to be a separate Iceweasel package in Fedora. This might be done to
> test the feasibility of maintaining it. There were mixed feelings about
> this amoung FESCO.

This is essentially not feasible because most of the disputed patches are in
xulrunner, and a hypothetical separate Iceweasel package would share
xulrunner with Firefox, unless we have even more bundled libraries.

I also don't see what we have to gain from shipping both.

So it's really an either-or situation.

IMHO, the version which is not compliant with our guidelines needs to go
away, period. We need to stop treating Mozilla specially, it needs to be
held by the same rules as any other upstream. If they don't cooperate, it's
the maintainer's job to fix things or orphan it. If nobody picks it up when
orphaned, it should be retired like any other package. Firefox is NOT an
essential package, the GNOME spin could just ship Epiphany (GNOME's default
browser) instead, and other desktop spins ALREADY ship the respective
desktop's default instead of Firefox!

        Kevin Kofler