Building mono-2.8 for 64 bit - possible solution to the problem

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 21:48:25 UTC 2010

Hi,

> > {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> > {standard input}:24487: Error: @TLSLDM reloc is not supported with
> > 64-bit output format
> > {standard input}:24487: Error: junk `@tlsld' after expression
> > make[3]: *** [libmonoruntimesgen_la-sgen-gc.lo] Error 1
>
> This is certainly a case of compiling i386 code and then trying to link it
> as x86-64 (or with other code compiled for x86-64).

In previous incarnations of mono, this has worked without a hitch

> > After Googling around, I think I've hit the cause - it's down to the
> > cross compiler used on koji (or could be). I found this...
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/unattended-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02316.html
> >
> > which seems to point to the cross compilation being the problem for
> > building mono on the 64 bit buildsys.
>
> If what you really intend is to compile i[3-6]86 code in an x86_64 rpm,
> then indeed you need to make sure that you are passing -m32 for all
> the compiler invocations any compilation or linking of the 32-bit code.

I'm not sure in this case. As I've said, the last version (2.6.7-3)
build fine on the 64 bit boxes without the need to pass any flags to the
compiler so either Novell has messed with something or the buildsys is
not being nice to me. Can't decide which...

TTFN

Paul

--
Vertraue mir, ich weiss, was ich mache...