Building mono-2.8 for 64 bit - possible solution to the problem

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 21:56:23 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> > > {standard input}: Assembler messages:
> > > {standard input}:24487: Error: @TLSLDM reloc is not supported with
> > > 64-bit output format
> > > {standard input}:24487: Error: junk `@tlsld' after expression
> > > make[3]: *** [libmonoruntimesgen_la-sgen-gc.lo] Error 1
> >
> > This is certainly a case of compiling i386 code and then trying to link it
> > as x86-64 (or with other code compiled for x86-64).
>
> In previous incarnations of mono, this has worked without a hitch

You mean that building some different code worked on x86-64, right?  Not
that you are specifically aware that Mono compiles i386 code and then links
it together with x86-64 code.  If you mean the latter, color me doubtful.

> I'm not sure in this case. As I've said, the last version (2.6.7-3)
> build fine on the 64 bit boxes without the need to pass any flags to the
> compiler so either Novell has messed with something or the buildsys is
> not being nice to me. Can't decide which...

It seems nearly certain that the Mono code broke to do something dumb.
Have you built it by hand on any x86-64 system?

Thanks,
Roland