xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 22:46:36 UTC 2010

> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >  * Why haven't those that want iceweasel and icedove in Fedora not
> > simply invested some time and got them integrated into the repository?(¹)
>
> Because having both Iceweasel and Firefox in the repository, in addition to
> being stupid by itself, would also mean shipping 2 different versions of
> xulrunner (because there's where most of the offending patches live).
>
> And besides, it's not that we want Iceweasel, it's that we DO NOT WANT
> Firefox since it does not follow Fedora policies. Having both would not
> actually solve any problem.

Proving that we can package Iceweasel and Icedove into Fedora and wind
up with workable software is a big step on that road, though. I think
making Iceweasel and Icedove packages and then floating the proposal
"switch from these guideline-infringing Firefox and Thunderbird packages
to these non-guideline-infringing Iceweasel and Icedove packages that
already exist and are tested" would get much more momentum than just
complaining that the Firefox and Thunderbird packages are infringing.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey