Packaging dwm

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 05:44:06 UTC 2010

Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net> wrote:
> It can't be packaged in the sense of shipping binaries.  But if a
> wrapper script is provided that automatically recompiles dwm for the
> individual user whenever necessary, the software could be packaged in
> the sense that it could be installed and updated with yum and would be
> functional without user intervention.  The latter is my definition of
> "packageable".  Compare to the akmods offered by RPM Fusion.

This is something like XMonad. XMonad, the code, is really just a
library for writing your own window manager. A default is provided and a
tool to manage the building of the actual window manager executable is
offered. Whether upstream will accept such a tool is the question. If
not, it can probably be maintained in a separate repository (dwm-manager
which Requires: dwm-devel, dwm Requires: dwm-manager to get
out-of-the-box support).

We do something similar for uzbl which is also in a similar boat (though
without the compilation step).

    uzbl             -> default settings (uzbl-tabbed and uzbl-defaults)
    uzbl-core        -> main program
    uzbl-browser     -> default tools to get a basic browser (what I use
                        with custom configuration)
    uzbl-tabbed      -> tabbed browsing
    uzbl-defaults    -> default configuration and scripts (Requires: on
                        tools used go here)

Hope this helps.

--Ben