trademarks [was: xulrunner 2.0 in rawhide (F15) bundles several system libs]

Brandon Lozza brandon at pwnage.ca
Thu Oct 14 07:37:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Brandon Lozza wrote:
>> I think an exception should be made for Chromium too.
>
> No. Just no.
>
> The exceptions for Firefox need to stop NOW, i.e. no new ones should be
> granted and the ones that have already been granted repealed/discontinued.
> Giving yet another package a free pass is going in the entirely wrong
> direction.
>
> (That said, I really don't see why Firefox gets a free pass while Chromium
> doesn't.)
>
>> Having a more secure browser would benefit the main repositories.
>
> We already have Konqueror which is more secure than either Firefox or
> Chromium. (There have been much fewer security vulnerabilities in KHTML than
> either Gecko or WebKit. All the WebKit issues have been checked for
> reproducibility in KHTML and most weren't reproducible.)
>
>        Kevin Kofler
>
> --

Perhaps the Upstream we should be working with instead should be
Debian (Iceweasel)?

I'm compiling Iceweasel right now and i'm going to attempt to plug it
into the system xulrunner, lol. It's the same version anyways so I
don't see why the branding being changed will introduce new bugs and
I'm not using debians security patches. I'll update on this and if it
works i'll look into modifying the firefox spec to use this instead.
However i'm kind of a noob at packaging and probably can't maintain
this forever.