Packaging dwm

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Mon Oct 18 07:36:04 UTC 2010

On 10/15/2010 11:14 PM, Matej Cepl wrote:
> Jesse Keating, Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:13:43 -0700:
>> Am i the only one that finds it hilarious that this thing is named
>> "Dynamic Window Manager"?  So dynamic, you gotta recompile to change
>> anything....
>
> Not sure about the word, but otherwise it just perfectly fullfills its
> purpose:
>
>     Because dwm is customized through editing its source code, it’s
>     pointless to make binary packages of it. This keeps its userbase
>     small and elitist. No novices asking stupid questions.
>
> I have really doubts whether it makes sense to package it ... shared git
> repository for Fedora-community maintained source code (if needed) and
> one tiny binary in /usr/local/bin/ should be good for everybody.

I took the review for a few reasons:
 a) If Petr wants to maintain it...it's his call (as will be dealing
with elitist upstream :-) )
 b) Package is following packaging guidelines (apart from places where
it really had to (installing sources even if it's not src.rpm for example).
 c) I am sure there are more useless packages in Fedora
 d) I like tiling WMs :-)

I really see no reason NOT to have dwm in Fedora. It's fun little WM.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 71A1677C