rawhide report: 20101019 changes

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Oct 19 15:27:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, 19.10.10 16:51, Stanislav Ochotnicky (sochotnicky at redhat.com) wrote:

> On 10/19/2010 04:37 PM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Note that many other distributions gave up on seperate /usr already (for
> > example, Gentoo do this, and even refers to Fedora that it wasn't
> > supported here, which is technically true, but so far not officially).
>
> Where did you get that idea? From Gentoo installation handbook:

Well, some Gentoo devs involved with integrating systemd on gentoo
pointed this out to me. The context was that the systemd tool to
initialize the console expects "loadkeys" to be in /bin, while on Gentoo
it is in /usr/bin. And I asked them to unify the location to /bin so
that we have less ugly glue code in the systemd build system, and the
gentoo folks ultimately refused, saying that seperate /usr wasn't
supported anyway.

Basically, on gentoo you don't get a correct keymapping before /usr is
around, which means you cannot even type your hdd password in properly
unless you are a lucky american.

There's even a Gentoo bug about this somewhere.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.