rawhide report: 20101019 changes

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Oct 19 15:28:20 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> said:
> Because it takes more engineering effort to keep it as a separate
> partition, as evidenced by the number of bugs that keep appearing that
> are only triggered by this niche usecase.

And how many of those bugs are exclusively a /usr-is-separate problem
vs. how many of them are didn't-anticipate-alternate-partitioning
problems?  I don't understand how separate /usr can be the sole trigger
for all these many bugs.  The only type of bug I can see attributed only
to separate /usr are bootup requiring things in /usr before non-root
filesystems are mounted.

I expect other bugs attributed to separate /usr are really problems
handling non-default partitioning schemes of many kinds.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>