rawhide report: 20101019 changes

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Oct 19 17:35:49 UTC 2010

Le mardi 19 octobre 2010 à 14:56 +0100, Matthew Garrett a écrit :
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 02:43:33PM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > This despite the FHS says (right at the top of Chapter 3, the Root
> > Filesystem):
> >
> >    /usr, /opt, and /var are designed such that they may be located on other
> >    partitions or filesystems.
> >
> > Do we *really* want to head this way, ignoring bugs resulting from
> > having /usr on a different partition such as
> > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/#626007, which is what led to this?
>
> What's the benefit in having /usr or /opt as separate filesystems?

When one actually uses /opt, it really wants to be on a separate
filesystem, so you can dump huge (gigs of binaries and other data)
proprietary software there without polluting the (sane) base system

It matters a lot when you have simple backup procedures for the base
system that explode if you accidentally scope Oracle/SAP/IBM bloatware.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot