rawhide report: 20101019 changes

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Tue Oct 19 20:13:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-19 at 16:11 +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:

> Well, I don't think people have suggested removing /var as a separate
> mountpoint. The stuff in /etc is a much more interesting case. Do you
> have some examples?

 So first off, I personally don't care if /usr is allowed to be separate
or not (though breaking the FHS on a whim seems a tad excessive) ... but
I don't see how /var is significantly different.
 udisks (why I'm reading this thread at all) certainly looks like it
needs /var to be mounted.

 Putting my really old sysadmin hat on, one other reason for
having /tmp, /var and /usr as separate mount points was so that you
could allocate different disk space to each (and they couldn't break
each other) ... do we have other solutions for that?

 Also, are we sure that people don't want to change any options other
than "ro" (the only thing you can tweak with the bind trick, AIUI)? I
thought someone mentioned noatime...

James Antill - james at fedoraproject.org
"... so the consumable rawhide is likely not to get as many updates
 as its users would like to have." -- Kevin Kofler