rawhide report: 20101019 changes

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Oct 19 20:40:50 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org> said:
>  Putting my really old sysadmin hat on, one other reason for
> having /tmp, /var and /usr as separate mount points was so that you
> could allocate different disk space to each (and they couldn't break
> each other) ... do we have other solutions for that?

On a multi-user server (and that includes web access like PHP or CGI),
you really don't want user-writable directories on a filesystem with
anything important, especially security-sensitive things like setuid
binaries.  Hard-link tricks are evil.  I run with a separate /tmp
(usually tmpfs now) and bind mount it to /var/tmp as well.

You generally don't want logs (which are indirectly user-writable) on a
filesystem with other system-critical things, as it leaves you open to
DoS.

This is really separate from / vs. /usr though, as neither should have
directly or indirectly user-writable files (assuming separate /tmp and
/var).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>