rawhide report: 20101019 changes

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Oct 20 02:06:47 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> said:
> Peter Jones (pjones at redhat.com) said:
> > Because we haven't decided to merge those together. That's really the only
> > reason - there's no over-arching technical reason they need to be separate.
> > It's entirely a historical consideration.
>
> Somewhere in the recesses of my memory I remember a UNIX where /bin, /lib,
> and so on were just symlinks to /usr/bin, /usr/lib, and so on.

On Tru64 (aka Digital Unix aka OSF/1 aka ...), /bin is a symlink to
/usr/bin, and /lib to /usr/lib (but shared libraries are in /shlib and
/usr/shlib, and they are separate; the lib directory is primarily for
compiling).  All the stuff needed for early booting is in /sbin
(separate from /usr/sbin).

I don't even think you can install with /usr (or /var) on the same
filesystem as /.  However, with AdvFS, the root file domain is special
(with extra restrictions due to the bootloader and other things), so you
really don't want anything else in there.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>