Who is working on python3 packages?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 17:00:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 03:57:07PM +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:22:14 -0400
> Neal Becker wrote:
>
> > Thomas Spura wrote:

> > > so the original maintainer accept that change to the package.
> > > If upstream released an extra python3 package, I sometimes package
> > > that and get it in fedora.
> > >
> > > I don't think we need a python3 SIG for that. Isn't the python SIG
> > > enought? ;-)
> > > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Python

+1

Python SIG is small but reasonably active.  We've worked on the python-2.x
rebuilds and python-3.x (smaller package set) rebuilds together.

> > Going forward, we should expect the current fedora packagers to
> > provide python3 versions?  So bug reports (patches for python3) for
> > fedora python packages should be directed to the respective
> > maintainers?
> >

> It depends on the respective upstream, some upstreams release two
> different tar balls for python2 and python3 (e.g. chardet). Then we
> need two different packages, if not it's possible to do it in one spec.
> See:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Common_SRPM_vs_split_SRPMs
>
> But if the maintainer of the python2 package hesitates to build a
> python3 package and you want one, you cannot force him to do so...
> Then I don't see another way, than submit a new package review request
> for the python3 package.
>

> So to answer your question:
> I don't 'expect' the current fedora
> packagers to provide python3 versions, but I 'hope' they do so...
>
> In your case, you still need to try to contact upstream, or you are
> doing a fork (see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Subpackages).

In particular, that section says not to package a module for python3 without
upstream support.

If upstream is not responsive (either at all or specifically doesn't want to
make a python3 package) you *can* fork it and start a python3 version.
However, you are forking and becoming upstream for the forked version -- so
you need to budget your time for that and make upstream releases (probably
on pypi), etc.  This would also make it a case of having two upstream
tarballs and therefore two packages in Fedora.

One last note -- I've been talking with Barry Warsaw (mailman author,
upstream python hacker, one of the python guys for Ubuntu) about the
possibility of creating a common project for distributions to get together
and help port modules to python3.  If anyone has some ideas about
requirements for doing that, I'd be interested in hearing ideas.

-Toshio