The march toward Release Candidate

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Oct 21 19:02:20 UTC 2010

> After a flurry of composes and tests and fixes over the past couple
> days, we're finally to the point where we can make the Release
> Candidate.  We have a few more things going into stable tonight, which
> will show up in tomorrow's Branched report.  I will be making the
> release candidate against that repository, so everybody else can play
> along and test it at home from this repository as well.
>
> Once I get the compose done, I'll work on bodhi so that we can do
> "stable" pushes that actually will become 0-day updates to Fedora and
> we'll start populating the updates directories.  Nothing else will go
> into Fedora 14 itself without releng / qa oversight.
>
> We have a chance at a strong finish to a darn good release cycle.  Lets
> pull together and make it happen!

Quick note on the new NTH process:

now we're basically at RC1 stage, this is what happens. We will only
spin an RC2 if *blocker* issues emerge in RC1. If blocker issues emerge
which cause us to spin RC2, we will (probably) pull any packages which
fix bugs marked as AcceptedNTH and which have the required levels of
karma to be pushed stable as per the critpath and updates policies into
RC2. (The 'probably' weasel clause there means that if the change is too
dangerous we'll decide to make the bug no longer AcceptedNTH and
therefore not take the fix). We will not spin additional RCs *solely* to
fix NTH issues.

Again, this matches in practice what's happened in a less formal way in
the past, it's not exactly a *change*, we're just making a better formal
process around what we've always done, so everyone's on the same page
and there's a paper trail we can use to go back and figure out what
happened (and argue about it!), if necessary.

The list of bugs currently open and marked as AcceptedNTH is:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&field0-0-0=status_whiteboard&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=MODIFIED&bug_status=ON_DEV&bug_status=ON_QA&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=FAILS_QA&bug_status=RELEASE_PENDING&bug_status=POST&type0-0-0=substring&value0-0-0=AcceptedNTH&product=Fedora&classification=Fedora
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey