xz-5.0.0 in rawhide + soname bump

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Tue Oct 26 15:48:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 07:36:47AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:02:41AM +0200, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> > The new xz-5.0.0-3 with a new xz-compat-libs subpackage containing
> > liblzma.so.0* libraries is just built. This should solve the chicken
> > and egg problem with rpm and elfutils as the old library will still be
> > available in the repository.
> Note:
>
> If this is intended to be a long term compat package then we probably want
> a new review for the package instead of shipping xz with two tarballs.  If
> this is just intended to get us out of the chicken and egg situation with
> rpm (This sounds like the better approach to me) then we should make sure
> rpm and elfutils are rebuilt asap and then drop the compat packages.
>
> -Toshio

Yes, this is just a temporary solution which assures that upgrade to
the new xz is actually possible. The plan is that the xz-compat-libs
will be dropped at some point and packaged separately (if there is a
need to, i.e. some package requires it).

In the meantime rebuild of all xz dependencies is recommended.

Note for devels/packagers depending on xz:
The new library liblzma.so.5 in the new xz is mostly API/ABI compatible with
old liblzma.so.0 so you shouldn't need to touch source code using
xz, i.e. rebuild is safe.

If you experience any problems or unsure, feel free to mail me
directly.

Cheers,
Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/
Kdo víno má a nepije, kdo hrozny má a nejí je, kdo ženu má a nelíbá,