Mounting an encrypted volume presents the volume to all users on a machine

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Tue Oct 26 19:16:41 UTC 2010

On 10/26/2010 01:03 PM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> I think that a small change in the default mount behavior so that the
> mountpoint encrypted is always owned by the user and mode 700— or if
> it were mounted under the user's home directory,  perhaps with a
> checkbox (defaulting to off) on the password dialog "Make this volume
> available to all users on my system", would better meet the user's
> expectations of how an encrypted volume should behave.

Just out of curiosity... when are these being mounted? If we are talking
about mounting a partition from a user session that's one thing and can
easily make it user only accessible with a checkbox I guess. I'm
wondering though, when you plug in a USB thumbdrive... don't all users
have access? What's the difference here? Are we talking about system
wide mounts like mine where only /home is encrypted??

Just wondering.
--
Nathanael d. Noblet