Mounting an encrypted volume presents the volume to all users on a machine

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Tue Oct 26 19:18:49 UTC 2010

On 10/26/2010 04:07 AM, nodata wrote:
> Imagine that you want to login to the computer, your username is oiang.
> I want to login too. My username is nodata. Now, I can only login to my
> account and look at my files because only I know my password. You can
> only login to your account because only you know your password.
>
> Now imagine if you could read all of _my_ files and I could read all of
> yours. That makes no sense. You _can_ configure that if you want, but by
> default we go for security.
>
> This is the same. You connect your encrypted hard disk to the system and
> you can look at the files on it because you know the passphrase.
>
> The fix to make this work is a 750 mode on /media/VOLUME-NAME

Just to clarify, your encrypted disk is external? Like a USB or eSATA
drive? Also I'm curious, if you plugged in a USB thumbdrive (without
encryption) does it not allow everyone (with permissions) to view ? I'm
not disagreeing with you regarding your use case, just trying to
understand it better....