Space for public package git repositories

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Oct 28 15:01:11 UTC 2010

Tim Niemueller wrote:
> Recently I wanted to modify a package. Since we now use git for
> packages, the following work flow feels natural:
>
> git clone package-repo
> make changes in package repo
> commit
> push repo somewhere
> send pull request to package maintainer
>
> Is that the anticipated workflow?

That works.  Or if it wasn't a package you planned to work on often,
git send-email can email the changes in a format suitable for git am
to import.

> Should I use fedorapeople.org webspace to push the repository to (a
> newer git version there would be nice then)

Why is a new version needed?  For simply pushing and pulling changes,
the version provided in EPEL should be fine.  It manages to work well
enough on fedorahosted, which gets a decent amount of use.

Incidentally, if you'd like to see an updated git for EL-5, point
anyone you know that uses emacs-git my way.  AFAIK, the only hang up
to updating EPEL to git-1.7 is working out how to maintain the emacs
support¹.

¹ https://bugzilla.redhat.com/600411

There is nothing government can give you that it hasn't taken from you
in the first place.
    -- Winston Churchill