Putting cross compilers into Fedora

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Sep 1 11:48:57 UTC 2010

On 09/01/2010 12:41 PM, David Howells wrote:

> Would it be worth our while putting into Fedora basic gcc and binutils rpms
> for cross compilers for all the Linux arches?  I keep finding the need to
> compile kernels for arches other than the x86_64 boxes I normally use, and I
> keep borrowing prebuilt compilers off others (usually Al Viro - thanks Al!) to
> do this.
>
> However, as the kernel advances, older compilers cease being able to compile
> it, so I have to go finding new compilers again.
>
> It would be much easier if I could just yum install them.
>
> Any thoughts on whether it would be worthwhile?

I'd welcome it.

However it would be a very challenging task on all levels:
- Fedora's rpm and some components the build-infrastructure have serious
issues related to cross-building.

- A cross compiler alone is not worth it, you need a whole zoo of
further cross-target packages to make it usable.
Without massive changes to the infrastructure, this would add a
significant amount of packages to the distro.

Which targets would be wanting to aim at?

Ralf