Putting cross compilers into Fedora

Al Dunsmuir al.dunsmuir at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 1 13:35:16 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 6:41:34 AM, David Howells wrote:

> Would it be worth our while putting into Fedora basic gcc and binutils rpms
> for cross compilers for all the Linux arches?  I keep finding the need to
> compile kernels for arches other than the x86_64 boxes I normally use, and I
> keep borrowing prebuilt compilers off others (usually Al Viro - thanks Al!) to
> do this.

> However, as the kernel advances, older compilers cease being able to compile
> it, so I have to go finding new compilers again.

> It would be much easier if I could just yum install them.

> Any thoughts on whether it would be worthwhile?

> David

I'd  like  to see an ARMV5 cross-compiler package in Fedora to support
the  ARM  secondary architecture.  This seems to be one of the factors
that is slowing down that effort.

Some  folks  like  crosstool and variats. Aside from the compiler, I'd
like   to   see   the  other  main  Fedora  build  tools  enabled  for
cross-compilation.

On  July  7th,  2009, Mark Salter made a post "crossbuilding rpms with
koji" on the fedora-buildsys-list".
http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-buildsys-list@redhat.com/msg02148.html

I  didn't  see  a lot of follow up, but that seemed an excellent basis
for doing cross-compilation in a controlled manner.

I'd  love  to  see  this  be integrated so I could build ARM on my AMD
64x4.
Al