Putting cross compilers into Fedora

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Wed Sep 1 15:00:08 UTC 2010

On 09/01/10 16:46, Andrew Haley wrote:
>>> rpm2cpio package | cpio -i -
>>
>> Isn't that easy, you'll have to do a bunch of fixups after doing so to
>> have things actually work.
>
> Usually not.  Nine times out of ten, (probably 99 out of 100) all you
> need for cross-devel is the headers and the libraries, and they'll be
> in the right place after unpacking.  The package doesn't have to work
> in that situation, it just has to be possible to build against it.

You havn't tried that, have you?

Last time I did I had to (a) move stuff from $sysroot/usr/... to
$sysroot/ to have compiler and linker find it.  Also fixup paths in the
linker scripts (try 'cat /usr/lib64/libc.so').  Nothing really hard but
needs to be done.

>> Also automagic fetching of packages (including dependencies) would
>> be nice.  Upgrading them even nicer.
>
> Lots of things sould be nice.  It's not an argument for not providing
> cross-compilers.

It isn't mean to be one.

>> Creating a script (or yum plugin?) doing all that is probably *much*
>> less work than creating tons of extra packages for userspace cross builds.
>
> Which we really shouldn't do.   All this is irrelavant, and we're
> getting away from the core issue, which is about providing cross
> compilers.

If we go add cross-compilers it would be quite useful to also have an
easy ways to cross-build userspace stuff so we are not limited to kernel
cross builds ...

cheers,
   Gerd