fedpkg prep

Garrett Holmstrom gholms at fedoraproject.org
Thu Sep 2 03:16:46 UTC 2010

On 01-Sep-10 20:43, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> Taking the dist value from the branch name is "magical" in the sense
> that it imposes a new interpretation on an existing datum.  Taking it
> from a file in the working tree designated for that specific purpose
> (which I suppose should really be named "dist", not "branch") is not.  I
> believe taking it from the git configuration file is an abuse of the git
> configuration file, as I said in reply to Tom.

In either case one should have the ability to choose which distribution
to build for at the time of building without the need to monkey around
with branch configurations or configuration files so one can test builds
from a given branch on multiple distributions at once.  As far as I can
tell, when one wants to work on an update branch that applies to
multiple releases one can only use fedpkg to do builds by creating one
new branch for every release and then moving them all in lockstep.
Luckily one can still call koji or mock directly to bypass fedpkg.

Though I don't like the idea of using a configuration file for this I
must admit that it would deal with propagation of this sort of
information between branches and repositories rather well.  We already
have one configuration file, namely "sources", so if we're going to
start adding more file-based configuration can we at least combine them
somehow into one file so we don't have to deal with a multitude of
magical files that have to go everywhere?