Starting Java SIG

Juha Tuomala Juha.Tuomala at iki.fi
Thu Sep 2 09:50:37 UTC 2010

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:
> * AutoQA - QA guys are struggling with their effort to get their stuff running
> from Fedora packages (shame on us if we can't make our own stuff run from our
> packages)
> * Name it :)

At my work, first thing that happens with Java is that Openjdk gets
thrown out of the window and is replaced with Oracle's JRE.

That of course is not going to make openjdk less buggy or
get more testers, so what I'd like to see is a some kind of
wiki page of its implications.

- what breaks if openjdk is removed
- what works & what doesn't with openjdk
- what integration issues there are with Fedora/EPEL and Oracle JRE
- what is gained if openjdk can be used and kept in place as a default JRE
- ?

This page should be something to convince to those who remove
openjdk. Keeping it compact and focusing on that audience.

Removing openjdk is a chicken and egg problem, perhaps that wiki
page could avoid some of those cases with small effort from Fedora's
side?

Tuju

--
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.