Please remember to update rawhide

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:38:05 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 09:02:43PM -0400, Kyle McMartin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> FESCo has heard a few complaints of cases where packages were newer (in
> some cases several versions newer) in F-14 than in rawhide. So this is
> just a friendly reminder that you should be updating rawhide
> (dist-f15) in addition to branched (dist-f14.) Inheritence from F-14
> into rawhide isn't automatic if there's been a separate build in
> dist-f15 since the branching, so please keep in mind updating rawhide
> as well.
>
> While I'm reminding, just another friendly reminder that you must submit
> update requests using bodhi for updates in F-14 as well, as there has
> been a bit of confusion about that as well.

This doesn't mention the important problem that prompted the discussion in
FESCo the other day:

When you do an update in F-14 and rely on inheritance to get the package
into rawhide, there is a problem.  That package will not go to rawhide until
it hits stable in F-14.  That means, for the typical F-14 workflow of:

* build for f14.
* Push to testing in f14
* Wait one to two weeks for the package to receive some testing
* Push to stable

rawhide is left with an older inherited build until it is pushed to stable.

i ran into this a few weeks ago when trying to get started on F15
development.  I was experiencing an ICE in gcc that was fixed with a newer
build.  However, that build was done for F14 and inheritance was being
relied upon to get it into F15.  So I couldn't work on the F15 problems
until the build went to stable.

-Toshio